The material on this page was written and designed by Michael O'Reilly. It's an excerpt from the full length article published in the February 2016 issue of Dell Horoscope.
Ten U.S. Presidents
Part of Fortune
6. Gerald Ford (July 14, 1913; 12:43 am; Omaha, NB) – came into this world with his Part of Fortune at 25º Virgo where it formed a close trine to his Capricorn Midheaven. Fortuna here is also sextile his Sun-Neptune conjunction and conjoins the Moon’s South Node. Fortuna in Virgo and the 6th house emphasized Ford’s keen interest in being a public servant, for which he was generally most appreciated.
He assumed the presidency when Nixon left on August 9, 1974 having never been elected either vice president or president. At the time, his progressed Midheaven and North Node were conjunct and simultaneously aligned with his natal Part of Fortune. His progressed Part of Fortune (P2 PF) was closely squaring his progressed Sun.
7. Jimmy Carter (October 1, 1924; 7:00 am; Plains, GA) – has his natal Part of Fortune in optimistic Sagittarius where it’s located in the 2nd house of money. Carter is the only president to have lived in housing subsidized for the poor, but he eventually turned his family’s peanut farm into a successful and prosperous venture. Undoubtedly, this gave Carter great joy. His Part of Fortune is also trine the Midheaven, and Carter readily took to politics.
Carter won the 1976 election on November 2 when his progressed Sun was conjunct natal Fortuna. Also at this time, his progressed Part of Fortune was at 13º Libra and being energized by a conjunction from transiting Pluto. P2 PF was also squaring natal Pluto, which in turn, is conjunct the U.S. Sun. Pluto is a major factor in Carter’s chart since it squares his Libra Sun and is closely trine his Scorpio Moon, the ruler of his Midheaven.
Carter lost to Ronald Reagan when the election was held on November 2, 1980. At the time, Carter’s progressed Moon was conjunct his natal Part of Fortune and applying to conjoin his progressed Sun at 4º Sagittarius. The last few months of the progressed New Moon cycle is known as a closure phase. Although Carter was severely disappointed that he lost, he was actually entering a new phase, one that would make him the most active and respected ex-president in history. Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize on October 11, 2002 when his progressed Midheaven was precisely octile (45º) to his natal Part of Fortune.
8. Bill Clinton (August 19, 1946; 8:51 am; Hope, AK) – has his natal Part of Fortune in talkative Gemini where it conjoins his Midheaven. Clinton’s Fortuna is also conjunct Uranus and sextile to his natal Sun, which are exceptionally beneficial influences that helps develop self-confidence, intellect, and pride in service to a higher calling. Fortuna is aligned with the political strategy asteroid Pallas – Clinton is widely respected for being one of the shrewdest, most intelligent politicians in the business. On the negative side, Fortuna also squares his Mars-Neptune conjunction near his Libra Ascendant.
Clinton was first elected president on November 3, 1992 when his progressed Part of Fortune (P2 PF) had just entered Pisces and was forming a trine to progressed Jupiter in early Scorpio and his natal Fortuna near his Midheaven. A Grand Trine involving the Midheaven, Jupiter and Fortuna is just unbeatable. Also, transiting Jupiter was conjunct his Libra Ascendant, and his progressed Ascendant at 14º Scorpio was precisely trioctile (135º) to his elevated natal Fortuna.
Clinton is blessed with a lucky Jupiter-Uranus trine which was activated during his re-election on November 5, 1996: P2 PF at 21º Aries was sextile Uranus and opposite Jupiter. Also, the progressed Midheaven and P2 PF were making a harmonious trine, again, an unbeatable combination. The only thing holding Clinton back from greatness was his own illicit activities, his sexual infidelities.
News of the Monica Lewinsky scandal first broke on January 17, 1998. At the time, Clinton’s progressed Saturn had arrived at his natal Mercury, leading to “bad news.” His P2 PF at 7º Taurus was squaring this combination, showing that the Drudge Report was accurate and severely damaging. Several days later, on January 26, Clinton stood beside his wife and declared “I did not have sex with that woman.” At the time, transiting Black Moon Lilith was right on his Ascendant, concealing the horrible truth.
Clinton was impeached by the House of Representatives on December 21, 1998 when his natal Moon in Taurus (the ruler of his Midheaven) was being opposed by his progressed Ascendant and conjoined by his P2 PF. Also, his progressed Midheaven at 27º Leo was being squared by progressed Venus at 27º Scorpio, a clear message of being undone by sexual excess.
9. George W. Bush (July 6, 1946; 7:26 am; New Haven, CT) – has his natal Part of Fortune at 10º Scorpio where it trines his Cancer Sun and is sextile Mars in Virgo, the ruler of his Aries Midheaven. Fortuna squares the Mercury-Pluto conjunction near the Leo Ascendant, and also squares Ceres in the 7th house. Ceres is associated with the parent-child relationship, and in this case, the hard aspects to Mercury-Pluto and Fortuna can indicate mental fixations around father-son interactions.
Bush won an intensely controversial election on November 7, 2000, defeating Al Gore after the votes in Florida were recounted. Astrologically, Bush was favored by having his progressed part of Fortune (P2 PF) conjunct progressed Jupiter and both aligned with his Midheaven. Bush was born six weeks before Bill Clinton and has the same lucky Jupiter-Uranus trine. In Bush’s case, his Jupiter is conjoined with Juno and his Moon. Venus in Leo further enhances this configuration by being at the Jupiter-Uranus midpoint and sextile each.
The outcome of the Florida recount was tied up in the courts for a month, finally reaching the Supreme Court, which announced its decision on December 9. According to the highest court, Bush took Florida by 537 votes out of some six million cast. He therefore defeated Al Gore in the national election by receiving 271 electoral votes to Gore’s 266. At the time, the Sun and Uranus were sextile, and forming harmonious links to Bush’s Jupiter-Uranus trine.
Al Gore (March 31, 1948; 12:53 pm; Washington, D.C.) was born with his Part of Fortune conjunct his Midheaven, and beneficially trine Jupiter in Sagittarius as well as Mars in Leo, making a Grand Trine. He lost in 2000 when his P2 PF was squaring natal Uranus. Bush was re-elected on November 2, 2004 when his progressed Sun was sextile natal Fortuna. The transiting Sun that day was precisely conjunct his natal Fortuna, triggering the underlying progression from the Sun. Also, his P2 PF was trine progressed Pluto and quincunx his Cancer Sun.
The P2 PF was only one month from conjoining progressed Black Moon Lilith, and although Bush was re-elected, his approval rating plummeted soon after for his handling of domestic and foreign affairs. The Bush administration’s justification for the war in Iraq (the presence of weapons of mass destruction) turned out to be false, and calls were made for his impeachment.
10. Barack Obama (August 4, 1961; 7:24 pm; Honolulu, HI) – was born with his Part of Fortune in the 10th house where it forms a number of important aspects, some favorable and others less so. On the plus side, Fortuna is trine the Leo Sun and Mercury, and trine Juno in Aries. The challenging aspects include a square to Pluto, an opposition to his Gemini Moon, and a square to Chiron in Pisces. Obama’s Fortuna is at the center of both a Grand Trine and a Grand Cross.
The only way to work out these various dynamics would be through a public life, and deal with the hidden and overt racism as best as possible. Obama became the first African-American elected president on November 4, 2008. At the time, his progressed Part of Fortune (P2 PF) and his progressed Pluto (the ruler of his Midheaven) were precisely conjunct (orb: 0º04’). Also, his progressed Sun was at 28º Virgo where it formed a tight sextile to his Midheaven at 28º Scorpio.
Obama was re-elected on November 6, 2012 when his progressed Part of Fortune and his progressed Neptune were exactly conjunct at 9º Scorpio. Although up to this point I haven’t mentioned the U.S. national horoscope, this Fortuna-Neptune link at 9º Scorpio is important because it lands right on the U.S. Scorpio Ascendant (the chart I prefer). Obama is favored on the national scene because he has so many tight connections with the U.S. horoscope. In any case, the P2 PF sextile natal Pluto, the ruler of his Midheaven, is a sign of victory in its own right.
When an individual’s Part of Fortune is in the 10th house or forms an aspect to the Midheaven, his or her happiness comes through leading a public life, generally, a leadership role. The individual thrives on being in the spotlight, especially when the Sun, Venus, or Jupiter is linked to the Part of Fortune. Then, the timing of promotions, the receiving of honors, or winning elections can be seen through the conditions of the Part of Fortune, both natally and by secondary progression. This principle is clearly demonstrated by looking at the lives of ten U.S. presidents, the ones for which we have widely acknowledged, accurate birth times. It can’t be coincidental that six of these ten presidents were born with their Part of Fortune in a close aspect to the Midheaven: one has Fortuna conjunct the MC (Clinton), four have Fortuna trine the MC (FDR, Ford, Nixon, and Carter), and one has Fortuna opposite the MC (JFK). Of the other four, two have Fortuna in the 10th house (TR and Obama). Then Bush has natal Part of Fortune sextile Mars, the ruler of his Aries Midheaven, while Harding has his Part of Fortune sextile Saturn, said to be the natural ruler of the 10th house. These two presidents had relatively weak connections, and they were also relatively weak presidents. Harding was probably more interested in business than politics, and he paid the price for taking the wrong path with his life. With a strong natal set-up linking the Part of Fortune to the Midheaven or 10th house, the potential president takes the top job when conditions are favorable around his natal and progressed Part of Fortune. Generally, both are active (natal and progressed) when victory is at hand. In the brief narratives for each pf the ten presidents, I’ve largely focused on the progressions, with the outer planet transits playing a minor supporting role. I hope that in this way astrologers (beginning to professional) will better appreciate the importance of progressions in making forecasts.
And now, you can make predictions for the next presidential campaign season! First, make sure you have an accurate birth time. Then check the conditions of the natal Part of Fortune. If it’s not directly connected to the 10th house, or indirectly by aspecting the ruler of the Midheaven, this candidate won’t get elected. Use the examples of the ten presidents above to get a sense for the timing. Data sleuths, get busy! We can’t make any definitive call without good data!